Source: Nirave Gondhia / Android Central
What you need to know
- The May 2020 security patch is now available for the Galaxy S10, Galaxy Z Flip, and Galaxy A50.
- The S10 series' rollout includes both the U.S. and Europe, while only European users have received Z Flip and A50 updates thus far.
- The update has already been rolling out to the Galaxy S20 series, Note 10 series, and Galaxy Fold over the last week.
A far cry from its reputation just a few years ago, Samsung often beats Google in delivering the relevant security patches to its phones these days. This was the case for the May 2020 patch for not only its latest flagships, the Galaxy S20 series, but also for the Note 10 series and the Galaxy Fold.
While Google did eventually catch up and roll out the update for thePixel 2, Pixel 3, Pixel 3a, and Pixel 4 family of devices, Samsung wasn't far behind and just two days later, has begun yet another batch of updates, this time pertaining to the Galaxy S10, Galaxy Z Flip, and Galaxy A50 (via Android Police). The inclusion of a midranger in such an early rollout is especially welcome, as companies tend to leave those devices till much later.
Let's just hope we don't see a repeat of the issues caused by the April 2020 patch for the Galaxy S20 Ultra, which the company to pull mid-rollout. Thankfully, the company was able to fix the green tint issue on the phone just two days later, but I think we can all agree that it's better that sort of thing doesn't happen in the first place.
In terms of availability, the S10 series' rollout seems to be the most expansive at the moment, covering both the U.S. and various parts of the E.U. The Z Flip and A50 updates, on the other hand, haven't left European shores yet, but it's only a matter of time before the unlocked variants of both phones also start seeing the update across the Atlantic.
Get More Galaxy S20
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra review
- Samsung Galaxy S20+ review
- Samsung Galaxy S20 review
- The best Galaxy S20 cases
- The best Galaxy S20 screen protectors
- The best Galaxy S20+ cases
- The best Galaxy S20 Plus screen protectors
- The best Galaxy S20 Ultra cases
- The best Galaxy S20 Ultra screen protectors
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Daily Coronavirus updates: Tinder is getting video dating from next quarter
COVID-19 has caused untold devastation around the globe, with entire industries shutting down in the wake of the virus. Here's how coronavirus is affecting the tech industry.
The new Sonos Arc has Dolby Atmos, arrives June 10 for $799
The Sonos Arc promises to be a big upgrade for home theater enthusiasts who love their Playbar but require more modern connectivity and audio standards from their TVs.
Here's how Google just changed the Android 11 release schedule
Android 11 is still on track for a Q3 release, but the steps along the way have shifted. Here's how the Developer Preview and Beta programs have changed.
Use one of these cases to protect your Galaxy A21 from when life happens
Life happens to everyone, and it ends up affecting to our smartphones at some point in time. Drops, scratches, bumps, and bruises all happen, and that’s why you’ll want to get a case for the new Galaxy 21.