Report: Mid-Range ‘OnePlus Z’ to Ship With 5G Connectivity
OnePlus’ mid-range smartphone rumored to debut this summer will ship with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 765, according to an insider.
It’ll arrive as the ‘OnePlus Z’ and unleash top-tier features only where they matter most in order to reduce costs, insider Max J. revealed in a tweet. Rather than going official as a third flagship-level smartphone, the OnePlus Z will join OnePlus’ existing lineup as a budget-friendly alternative that strikes a balance between performance and value. Now, we’re learning what to expect from the OnePlus Z.
Based on the report, OnePlus will choose the Snapdragon 765 to run its upcoming smartphone. The OnePlus Z should support next-generation connectivity as a result. Several companies, including LG and Google, are selecting the Snapdragon 765 over Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 800 series since it’s cheaper but not compromised. It still latches onto 5G networks and retains many high-end technologies normally limited to the $1,000 price point.
SEE ALSO: The Best Phones for 2020
Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 765 might not serve as the chipset alone, however. Earlier reports indicated that OnePlus tapped MediaTek to supply its Dimensity 1000. It also supports 5G connectivity, and it’s based on the 7nm manufacturing process as well. OnePlus could still use MediaTek’s Dimensity 1000 in some regions, but Qualcomm should remain as the key supplier due to its long history with OnePlus. OnePlus and Qualcomm are known to optimize chipsets with each other in order to create a blazing-fast experience on OnePlus-branded smartphones.
- Report: Layoffs Strike OnePlus' Europe-Based Teams
- The New OnePlus 8 Is America's Least Expensive 5G Phone
- Exclusive: OnePlus 8 Series Aces DisplayMate's Lab Tests
Joining the OnePlus 8 and the OnePlus 8 Pro as soon as possible is ideal, but OnePlus will reportedly need to wait until the summer to unveil the OnePlus Z. It was allegedly delayed due to the coronavirus and the related shutdown of production facilities around the world. OnePlus plans to get back on track and roll out the OnePlus Z possibly in July.
- US 5G Phone Share Rises to 20 Percent Thanks to Galaxy S20
- COVID-19 Causes Smartphone Market to Suffer Biggest Annual Decline Ever
- Report: Xiaomi Phones Scooping Up Tons of Web Browsing Data, Even in Incognito Mode
- Blue Wireless Shutting Down After Selling Spectrum to Verizon
- More in Mobile Phones
Mobile Phone Reviews
- Kyocera DuraXV Extreme
- Motorola Moto Edge+
- Huawei P40 Pro 5G
- Oppo Find X2 Pro
- Apple iPhone SE (2020)
Mobile Phone Best Picks
- The Best Phones for 2020
- The Best AT&T Phones for 2020
- The Best T-Mobile Phones for 2020
- The Best Sprint Phones for 2020
- The Best Phones for Seniors