What you need to know
- The Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 are due out in Holiday 2020.
- The release date of these consoles seems depending on AMD chip supply.
- According to AMD, the company is ramping up chip production and feels confident in being able to support Microsoft and Sony's in time.
With AMD powering the CPU and GPU of Microsoft's Xbox Series X and Sony's PlayStation 5, the company plays a large role in when these consoles release. Thankfully, it looks like AMD is confident that it can support both systems come Holiday 2020, with production ramping up to do so.
In recent earnings call, AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su said, "We expect semi-custom revenue to increase in the second quarter and be heavily weighted towards the second-half of the year, as we ramp production to support the holiday launches of the new PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles."
Sony's been quiet about the PS5, but wording in its announcement of the DualSense controller indicates that it still plans to release the PS5 this holiday. Xbox, on the other hand, has been far more vocal about its plans.
"Overall, I think we're in line with where we thought we would be," he said. "I'd say the bigger unknown is probably the game production. Game production is a large scale entertainment activity now, you have hundreds of people coming together, building assets, working through creative."Xbox Series X gameplay. Assassin's Creed Valhalla gameplay is also set to debut. You can tune in at 8am PT/11am ET on Xbox's social channels, Mixer, Twitch, and YouTube.
- PlayStation 5: Everything we know so far
- PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: How they compare
- PS5 Specs: What's in the next-gen PlayStation
- Will PS4 games work on the PlayStation 5?
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
As an Android user, what's your favorite thing about iOS?
While Android may be our favorite mobile operating system, that's not to say we absolutely hate iOS. In fact, some of our AC forum members recently started talking about certain aspects of it that they quite like.