As phone makers continue to push new foldable form factors, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip is turning out to be one of the most hyped devices for this year. Following the success and attention of the Galaxy Fold, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip has already been under the radar of the public as its launch date approaches.
The latest set of leaks comes from WinFuture where official renders Samsungs new foldable clamshell smartphone have surfaced. The outlet has a great reputation for releasing renders of a device before they hit the main stage, so these renders look quite promising.
The concept images that weve seen over the past few weeks were quite close to the final product (those were based on leaks and rumors), but these renders are certainly more Samsung-esque.
Starting with the screen, were getting a vibe of the Galaxy Folds plastic bezel around the display. Remember this bezel was improved upon following the initial recall of the Galaxy Fold – the plastic display protector from the Fold was later tucked under this plastic trim so the user wouldnt be inclined to remove it.
As per the report, the screen unfolds to a 6.7-inch display with a rather tall 22:9 aspect ratio. Samsung is reportedly calling this the Infinity Flex display. Its resolution is expected to be Full HD+ with HDR+ support. Meanwhile, that selfie camera mimics the cutout of the Infinity-O displays on the Galaxy Note10. The phone opens freely thanks to the hinges design. It can be used adjusted between 70 and 110 degrees and Samsung reportedly claims it can be easily propped up on a table.
The lower half of the screen has two nubs where the two opposite plastic trims rest on each other as to not let the actual display make contact when closing too hard. Rumors have suggested that the Z Flip will use a very thin layer of glass in the display so we are hoping that Samsung is able to pull this off.
On the back of the phone, we see an outline of the small 1.06 external display (300 x 116 px) next to the dual-cameras. The screen will support always-on features and is said to be Super AMOLED were hoping it can display colors. Both halves of the back of the device are made with Gorilla Glass 6 featuring tapered edges to give it a nice curvy feel in-hand.
Next up are the specs. Theres a lot to cover so well list them out:
- Body: Aluminum and Gorilla Glass build;
- Weight and dimensions: 183g; Folded: 87.4 x 73.6 x 15.4-17.3 mm; Unfolded: 167.9 x 73.6 x 6.9-7.2 mm
- Display: Infinity Flex Full HD+ (2636 x 1080 px) Dynamic AMOLED 6.7-inches (22:9); External: 1.06-inch Super AMOLED with always-on support; 300 x 116 px
- Software: Samsung One UI 2.0 running Android 10
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+ 7nm
- Memory: 8GB RAM; 256GB UFS 3.0 non-expandable
- Main Cameras: 12MP dual-pixel AF, f/1.8 aperture + 12MP ultra wide f/2.2 123-degree fov; LED Flash, OIS.
- Selfie camera: Infinity-O 10MP dual-pixel AF, f/2.4 aperture
- Video: 4K @ 60fps (main); 4K @ 30fps (selfie)
- Battery: two-part 3,300 mAh battery, Quick Charge 15W support, 9W Qi wireless charging
- Misc: Side-mounted fingerprint scanner, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 6, NFC, GPU, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo
The Galaxy Z Flip is rumored to cost 1,500 or $1,400, and reported to go on sale on Valentines Day, February 14. Were expecting it to be announced alongside the Galaxy S20 series next month at Samsungs Unpacked event on February 11.
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip to arrive in four colors at launch
- Weekly poll: can the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip convince you to move on from rigid slabs?
- Samsung is rolling out stable Android 10 for the Galaxy S9 series
- Galaxy Z Flip to launch February 14 for $1400, S20 Ultra in March for $1300