Source: Hayato Huseman / Android Central
What you need to know
- Google has acknowledged the touchscreen issues affecting many Pixel 4a 5G phones.
- The company says it will roll out a fix for the problems in a future software update.
- In the meantime, Google has suggested a few navigational workarounds to Pixel 4a 5G owners.
Google's December 2020 security update introduced a touchscreen bug that affected several Pixel 4a 5G units. While the latest January security update did bring a fix for the Pixel 5's volume issues, it didn't include a fix for the Pixel 4a 5G's touchscreen issues. Google has now said that it is aware of the bug and that a fix is going to be rolled out soon.
- When tapping icons on the edge of the screen, tap the center of the button or the side of the button/icon furthest away from the edge of the display.
- When tapping icons, including the navigation buttons on the bottom of your screen, use the tip of your finger or thumb instead. This will help improve touch recognition.
Google isn't expected to release a new software update for its Pixel phones until early next month, so it looks like Pixel 4a 5G users will have to wait at least three more weeks for a fix. Until then, you'll have to try out these workarounds.Pixel 4a 5G, however, the Pixel 4a's issues only surfaced when using certain screen protectors.
Get More Pixel 5
- Google Pixel 5 buyer's guide
- Google Pixel 5 review
- Best Pixel 5 cases
- Best Pixel 5 screen protectors
- What color Pixel 5 should you buy?
- Pixel 4a 5G review
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Samsung's latest flagship phones are more powerful, more visually distinct, and take better photos than ever before — all at a $200 price reduction over last year's models.
2021 looks like it'll be the year when more companies stop including a charger in the box with their phones. What's your take on this?
The Google Pixel 4a 5G is so slim and sleek that you'll want to show it off in all its glory, including the beautiful 6.2-inch full HD+ OLED screen. That means getting a thin case that doesn't add to much bulk but also provides sufficient protection. And these are all great options worth considering.