The results show impressive performance across the board with the largest iPhone ever breaking 10 performance records. The 12 Pro Max deserves the highest A+ rating and perfect absolute color accuracy of 0.9 JNCD. Image contrast accuracy and intensity scale accuracy were of the highest quality too.
iPhone 12 Pro Max Super Retina XDR OLED: Color gamut • Color accuracy
The new XDR OLED display has the highest full white screen brightness of any OLED display at 825 nits. HDR content can go up to 1,200 nits. The panel also holds the lowest screen reflectance at just 4.8% as well as the smallest brightness variation with a viewing angle of 27% when viewed from a 30-degree angle.
Here’s the full list of the 12 display performance records matched or broken by the iPhone 12 Pro Max:
- Highest Absolute Color Accuracy (0.9 JNCD) – Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.
- Highest Image Contrast Accuracy and Intensity Scale Accuracy (2.19 Gamma) – Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.
- Smallest Shift in Color Accuracy and Intensity Scale with the Image Content APL (0.2 JNCD) – Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.
- Smallest Shift in Image Contrast and Intensity Scale with the Image Content APL (0.00 Gamma) – Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.
- Smallest Change in Peak Luminance with the Image Content Average Picture Level APL (1 percent) – Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect.
- Highest Full Screen Brightness for OLED Smartphones (825 nits for 100% APL).
- Highest Full Screen Contrast Rating in Ambient Light (172 at 100% APL).
- Highest Contrast Ratio (Infinite).
- Lowest Screen Reflectance (4.8 percent).
- Smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle (27% at 30 degrees).
- Highest Visible Screen Resolution 2.8K (2778×1284) – 4K Does Not appear visually sharper on a Smartphone.